These vary year to year. In the past, we have gone to the Jelly Belly Factory, California Mission, Wells Fargo Museum, Sacramento Train Museum, Lucky Stores, DeYoung Museum, Asian Art Museum, Oakland Museum, San Francisco Symphony, and the Alameda Library.
Goals for the year
3rd grade: Mastering the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts, learning to write a paragraph with a topic sentence and memorizing all 50 states and capitals.
4th grade: Becoming comfortable with the writing process, and understanding how to research.
- Language Arts: Students study various kinds of reading materials including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and fables. They study the parts of speech and practice their language skills by writing sentences, paragraphs, essays, and short stories. They learn the writing process by doing research projects. Phonics is stressed in the lower grades. Students learn and use their spelling and vocabulary words in writing assignments. Our language arts program includes reading, phonics, vocabulary, grammar, spelling, handwriting, creative writing ,and public speaking.
- Math: Students learn to master their math facts, study math theory, and apply math skills in word problems using Saxon Math curriculum.
- Science: From learning about the five senses and doing simple experiments in Kindergarten through the study of biology, physiology, environmental science, physical and earth science, meteorology and astronomy in the upper grades.
- Social Studies: Our students expand their knowledge of the world they live in by studying U.S. geography and the history and geography of the State of California
- Bible: The Old and New Testament are taught including application of Biblical principles to our lives and memorization of scripture verses.
- Physical Education: Students have P.E. twice weekly with emphasis on individual fitness and skills, and team sports.
- Music: Our music program is based on the Orff Schulwerk approach to music. Through the use of songs and games, the younger students learn about rhythm, melody, dance and musical performance.
- Computers: Students in 1st through 8th grades learn keyboarding and are taught both how to use computers and how to use computers to learn.
- Art: Students learn about color, shape, and perspective through the use of various media including pastels, chalk, charcoal, and watercolor.